Monday, April 8, 2013

LIFE IS STRANGE

I first spotted her about thirty seven years ago, having breakfast with her hubby at the table next to us, at our hotel in Bahrain when we first arrived. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I discovered we were both newlyweds from Texas, and that our husbands worked for the same company.

Miss Nellie entertains the crowd.
Before long, Paula, Nellie and I were best buds.


We lost touch for a while when we all left Bahrain and our hubbies each went to work for a different company, but a couple of years later, we all ended up in Houston together. We picked up right where we left off, and even hosted baby showers for one another.

Caught red handed! (sneaking tastes of the homemade ice cream)
Unfortunately, we lost track of Nellie and Dave completely after we had our first child and got transferred, first to west Texas, then to Indonesia, and from there, to Dallas. It wasn't until we moved to Katy, Texas that the universe decided to pull us back together. I had gone with my son to register at his new high school, and was waiting in the hallway while he stood in line to get his shot records checked by the school nurse. Suddenly I heard some women laughing, and one stood out from the rest. I thought to myself, "I'd recognize that laugh anywhere!" I got up to poke my head around the corner, and sure enough, there stood Nurse Nellie!

Alas, we lost touch again when our son graduated, we sold our house in Katy, and I started spending all my time in Wimberley. We managed to find each other on facebook a few years later, and she mentioned them having some property elsewhere in the Hill Country -- over in Boerne, I think. So, imagine my surprise when I discovered who is in the process of building a house, right down the road from us, in Driftwood!





Now we have another great excuse for meeting up at The Salt Lick (as if we needed one), which is right between our house and theirs!


It truly is a small, small world, is it not?

No comments: