Friday, April 5, 2013

DREAMS BEST NOT REMEMBERED

 
Why is it that some people remember all of their dreams, while others, like me, can't remember doodley squat? Several people have told me that dreams play a vital role in their creative lives, and I noticed that a couple of the courses in my new 21 Secrets class have to do with dreaming. I've been trying to work on my retention rate by keeping a tablet and pen at my bedside, in order to jot things down the moment I wake up. I also keep artsy magazines there, so I can fall asleep thinking creative thoughts. Not working all that well.

For the most part, all that remains of my dreams when I wake up is a wisp of an aura or feeling that lingers. If I'm lucky, I might remember a few of the last objects I touched in the dream. This morning I remembered a dying sewing machine and an antique doll dress that had been slipped over a tall perfume bottle, for display purposes, but that was it.

About the only time I ever remember anything substantial is when I get startled awake in the middle of a dream cycle, rather than waking up in my own sweet time. Since we never use alarms anymore, that rarely happens. When it does, the dreams are always so freakin' bizarre, it's like being lost in a creepy Fun House. I hate creepy Fun Houses! Yesterday I briefly fell back to sleep, after getting up to go to the bathroom, and began to dream. I remember being at a family get-together on what used to be a golf course near the house where I grew up. For some reason one of my sister's high school friends (who is now one of my blog buddies) was there with her family as well. A few of us were sitting on some benches that faced each other, having a nice little visit, when suddenly we realized that those benches were actually part of a water ride -- something like the log ride at Six Flags. We had been floating along without realizing it, and were just about to go over one of those huge drops, with no straps to hold us in, and nothing much to hold onto!


See? I told you they were bizarre. And that is one of my most normal ones! So, how is visiting the freaky fun house every night going to boost my creativity?

2 comments:

Gus said...

When I had my sleep study I said I must sleep well because I have tons of dreams that I remember. She said that if I remembered them if was because I wasn't deeply asleep - that you don't remember anything that you dream while in REM sleep. I guess this means you are a really deep sleeper!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Maybe that's why I do fine on 6 or 6 1/2 hrs. -- when I sleep, I sleep good!