Wednesday, March 27, 2013

MEMORIES OF PROVENCE

Woohoo! I finally completed a page in my French travel journal -- two years after the fact!


If you recall, I started this page a while back, using a great little technique that I learned from travel-journalist-extraordinaire Jacqueline Newbold. Not only does it expedite the process of journaling on the go, by having a pageful of backgrounds ready and waiting for quick little sketches, it also allows you to add color and detail to them at some later point in time, by using "reference photos" that you took when you did the sketches.


Or if, like me, you were too busy having fun to do more than snap a few quick photos, or were traveling with a group that wasn't interested in standing around while you sketched, you can wait and do the sketches when you get home, taking all the time your little heart desires!


Best of all, instead of doing my sketches chronologically, I can group them however I like. Here you see some of my favorite windows and balconies. Next up? Sitting and sipping my way through the outdoor cafes of southern France!


Now, just out of curiosity, how do you pronounce the name Jacqueline? I always thought it was Jack'-wuh-lin. However, I just watched a little video on Jacquiline's website, and she introduced herself as Jack-lean'. Doh! Remember your French lessons Becky?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also like Jackleen's (!!) way of recording her travels and have a whole journal like this when I went for a week to the South of Portugal last year. Thanks for reminding me, as I am going back in May and have decided to do this again. It's so good for recording those interesting nooks and crannies as well as the bigger scenes and landscapes...