Thursday, February 28, 2013

WHAT'S ON YOUR TABLE? : PILES OF SYNCHRONICITY

 
My art table was a bit of a wreck, so I decided I'd better put a few things away before starting any new projects -- like the art goodies Hubby gave me for Valentines along with my box of candy...


the card I had painted and attached to his gift...


these rub-ons (my very first ones) which I picked up when exploring the new JoAnn's store that opened in south Austin...


and these magazines I picked up to peruse while at the hospital.


Now here's the odd thing. I found those rub-ons hanging amidst a whole wall of scrapbooking/art journaling/mixed media gee-gaws -- part of a collection by an artist named Kathy Davis. There was something about her work and her name that seemed vaguely familiar to me, but I just couldn't put a finger on it. A few days after I bought those rub ons, I decided I needed some reading material for the hospital. I went to a different craft store this time, and picked up the latest issue of Where Women Create. Well, guess who was on the cover of it? Kathy Davis! And, the more I saw of her work, the more certain I was that I knew it from somewhere else -- somewhere that had absolutely nothing to do with scrapbooking, art journalling, or mixed media art. But where?

At first I just flipped through the magazines, looking at the pictures. However, several days later, when we were still at the dang hospital, I went back and started reading the articles. I was midway through the story about Kathy's artistic path when those bells started clanging away. As it turns out, one of her first big jobs was for a company called Recycled Paper Greetings, and, about 18 or 20 years ago, I happened to be a merchandiser for Recycled Paper Greetings. In fact, I still have a huge stack of their cards and envelopes in my supply cabinet. When I ran to check, I found quite a few by an artist named Kathy Davis...


including one of my all time favorites -- the one I sent to all the best teachers that my kids had over the years -- about making a difference in the life of a child. Isn't life funny? So what's on your table?

2 comments:

Kathy G said...

I think she does all of the most beautiful digital cards for Blue Mountain!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Kathy, Prisi just mentioned on facebook that she's a fan of her too, and that she had just discovered the Where Women Create website online. Have I ever mentioned how I love the blogosphere and all its co-inky-dinks?