Tuesday, February 19, 2013

NEWS FLASH: I LIED

Remember all that grousing I've been doing this week about hospitals and prima donna doctors? Well I take it back -- every last word! Sometimes, a prima donna is just what you need and, as it turns out, the hospital is precisely where my hubby was meant to go yesterday. You see, it wasn't a tummy bug that was ailing him. It was a blood bug! One that goes by the name "gram positive cocci." This morning we got word that one of John's blood cultures came back positive for this nasty little cocci sucker, probably picked up last time he was in the hospital. And, if we hadn't caught it as soon as we did, it might have gone septic, colonizing its way throughout his bloodstream.  Fortunately, a course of very special antibiotics -- a controlled substance that requires careful administration and a few more days in the hospital -- should have him feeling much perkier in no time. So, lets hear it for the prima donnas! I bow down in AWE to you!

3 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

Oh my goodness. I'm glad it was caught so he can get the treatment he needs. Enough with the hospitals for a while, I hope.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I couldn't agree more, Linda!

Unknown said...

I applaud your attentiveness and that of the doctors and staff of St David South Austin. They took excellent care of my hubby when he stayed there.