Thursday, February 14, 2013

GIVING BIRTH, AND LETTING GO

 
Well, it certainly wasn't an easy decision, but I have finally come to the conclusion that it's time for me to step down from the board of The Bountiful Sprout. Hard to believe it's been five or so years now since I walked into that first organizational meeting -- just looking for a way to hook up with local growers and producers, but finding so much more.


The problem is, there's just way too much going on in my life these days, and as I've told you many times before, I am NOT a multi-tasker. I've lost all that zip and drive that I had, for changing the way the world eats, back when I first volunteered, and I suspect others who have been on board since the get-go are feeling the same way.


It's time for us to bring in some new blood -- people who are just as ga-ga about it as we all used to be, and who have exciting new ideas, and want to get in there and work to make them happen! It's a truly wonderful organization, which has done much to bring our local farmers and producers in touch with the people in their community who wish to eat fresh, local, healthy foods -- enabling them to set their own prices, and keep 92% of what they bring in. It would be such a shame if we were to let things fall apart, just because we didn't know when to pass the torch, now wouldn't it?


One thing I have certainly not grown tired of, however, is all the wonderful food that has come into our house via those TBS baskets -- food that I was able to select myself on their website, rather than having to settle on whatever was chosen for me. Most of all, I loved the way it transformed me from someone who assembled ingredients from cans and packages, into someone who actually cooks, and enjoys doing it! Which is why I will continue to be a shopping member, for just as long as they will let me.

No comments: