Thursday, December 20, 2012

WHEN YOU TELL ME GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE...

Yesterday I shared a monologue from Seth Meyers on facebook that was humorous, yet thought provoking. It was about the second amendment, militias, and what the founding fathers would have to say if they were here now. An old buddy from our days in west Texas responded with that infamous quote, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." I wasn't the least bit surprised, as this subject came up often back in those days. Those were the good ol' days, when people could discuss stuff like this without becoming mortal enemies and slinging vicious slurs at one another, or threatening bodily harm. I welcomed her comment, and laughingly replied "Sorry Char! I'm afraid we are never going to see eye to eye on this one!"  I hope she won't object to hearing my thoughts in return.

You see, I had a group of buddies back in those days who got up before dawn everyday to go walking together. Discussing politics and religion and what we were cooking for dinner made the miles pass more quickly and, as I said, gun control was a topic that came up fairly often when you had a group that contained one gal who was a UT hippie, and another whose hubby kept cages full of huntin' dogs in their back yard.

We usually managed to keep it all quite friendly, but there may have been a time or two when I might have thrown my hands in the air and said something like "What's  it gonna take to convince you all? Losing a child?" I pray that I didn't, but I probably did. Why do I pray that? Because a couple of years later, one of them did. It was not at their own house, or with their own gun. It was at a cousin's house, with an uncle's gun -- even though the gun was locked in a gun safe, and the ammo had been "hid" elsewhere. Because, well, as you may know, young boys will go to amazing lengths in order to impress one another.

So, when you tell me that guns don't kill people, I hear what you are saying, but all I see and feel is a young boy who never made it past his eleventh birthday, and a great big, loving, close-knit family getting blown all to bits.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...


Cars kill people,too, as do any number of other things. Education in proper use of anything is key. For sure, there is very little practical use for assault rifles by civilians. But in this recent event, the problem seems to lie with an overly intelligent white male who probably felt alienated from society. The whole story has not been told, but I think that mental illness is th0ught of as shameful and resources for its identification and treatment have been drastically cut. Smart young males do not need guns to wreak havoc. He was probably smart enough to devise an IED and wo even more damage. Sadly, there are plenty more just like him out there.

Linda Hoye said...

Well said, Becky.

Hill Country Hippie said...

By the way, I welcome all comments, be they thoughtful and considerate, regardless of your stance on the subject. However, I am not a fan of cowards who use the shield of anonymity to hurl insults. Be nice, or be silent!

Anonymous said...

Sorry if you felt insulted - that was not my intention. A lot of people are again talking gun control and i do agree with some of it. It's typical how problems are approached is this country - big media blitz, government response, no action, and wait for the next big tragedy. Becky, I know you from Houston Curves and I like your work and think we have a lot of similar outlooks on things. I was a "hippie" back in the day and still hold onto a lot of those ideas. I remain anonymous because I "fly under the radar" and do not need any "blow back" for expressing my opinions. I am not a fan of social media although I do follow a couple of blogs I find entertaining. If I were you, I would stick with the artsy, foodie, travel topics and stay away from the controversial ones since you seem to be a bit thin-skinned

Hill Country Hippie said...

I have not been insulted by any of the comments you see here, and I don't think I am all that thin-skinned. I just believe that people can have a discussion without being rude. The comment I chose not to publish was just plain rude. I am certain there must be better ways to get your point across than by saying things like "why don't you use your brain!"

Anonymous said...

Since you did not publish the rude anonymous comment, I assumed you were referring to mine. This is your blog and no one should be rude by assuming you are not using your brain. I like your blog and have gotten some good leads on good reads as well as some good recipes. Best wishes to you and your family for a very happy holiday season!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Whew! Glad we got that cleared up.;-)