Friday, October 26, 2012

THE KEY TO ALL HAPPINESS


The other day my friend Paula, who's had a lot of experience with this herself, wrote me "After ten days in the hospital, you are really going to appreciate the simple things when you get home." Synchronicity tapped me on the shoulder the very next day, reminding me of her words, when I began my new on-line art class. Our very first assignment was to "sketch breakfast."


As I sat there arranging my favorite teapot and mugs, pulling out my mother-in-law's vintage juice glasses, and grouping my mom's old glass canister, which holds my oatmeal, with my beehive brown sugar jar, butter dish and honey jug, it suddenly occurred to me that this is what I have missed the most -- my simple morning routine.


I adore everything about my breakfast ritual, from brewing a proper pot of tea, to the well-loved pieces everything is stored in and served from. Most especially, I love the quiet solitude of it. As I sat there sketching, I was reminded of the little quote I painted on a mug about fifteen years ago: All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. ~ Gunther


And, after ten days of spending an hour and a half each morning fighting the rush hour traffic up I-35 into Austin, instead of being snuggled in my little nest, watching the sun come up, I hope never to take this simple luxury for granted!

No comments: