Tuesday, October 30, 2012

AN IDEA FOR A NOT-SO-WEE LITTLE STUDIO

My mother in law was an artist, and after John went off to college, she converted his bedroom into a studio/guest room. She put the two twin beds against the walls in a corner, as was so popular in the 70s, with long bolster pillows, to make them more sofa-like. Then John's dad, who built furniture and grandfather clocks as a hobby, designed a big art supply cabinet to go on one wall. The front dropped down and became a work table when needed, but when closed, it just looked like a nice piece of furniture. It was kind of like this one from Ikea that fellow art journaler Camilla Olsson posted the other day, only it was custom built out of gorgeous wood.


The minute I saw this photo, I was reminded of Theda's cabinet, and told my husband "Arrggh! If only I had that cabinet now!" Unfortunately, at the time when we were clearing out her house, I was not yet into art, we still had two kids at home, and there was really no place to put it, so we let it go. A short while later I found my husband staring at this corner of our bedroom...


He said, "you know, if we move that recliner down to the man cave, and put your white drawing table in front of the window there, all you'd have to do is make some room for your art supplies on those bookshelves, and you'd have a nice little workspace here."

By Jove! He may be onto something!

No comments: