Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DONKEY NEWS

Waaaah! My cutie-pitootie donkey neighbors moved away! I'm so, so sad. Apparently their owners were just leasing the place in our neighborhood while they were waiting for their house to be built or something. I guess it's true what they say -- you just don't realize how much something means to you, until it's gone. Oh, how I miss seeing those happy little faces every time we drove in or out of the neighborhood, and the way they would come running over to the fence to greet you if you showed any sign of pausing.
Perhaps I should go hang a sign on their fence, for any prospective leasers or buyers, that reads "MUST HAVE DONKEYS."

In other donkey news, do you remember those two succulent plants I bought in honor of my fuzzy-eared friends, just because they were called "Donkey Ears"? I added them to these urns which contained another succulent whose name I adored, Cow's Tongue!
Well, just yesterday I noticed something rather unusual about those Donkey Ears. They seem to be reproducing. Only, instead of sending up pups at their base, as most of my other succulents do...
they are doing it way out on the tips of their big ol' droopy leaves!
 Interesting, no?

6 comments:

Marguerite said...

Donkeys really have a child like charm! Sorry your friends had to move on. Maybe you could get your own ? I am loving succulents indoors as house plants. They have a cool, composed look about them! Have been in Houston for a week and praying my deck plants have not perished in my absence.

Hill Country Hippie said...

M- Late last fall, on the spur of the moment, I dug up a couple of my favorite succulents and a bunch of little pups, then planted them all together in one container, just so I could winter them over indoors. I ended up liking the way it looked so much, I made it the centerpiece on my dining room table all winter long!

musingegret said...

That is really bizarre and wonderful. In the last pic the new pup looks like a butterfly alighting on the tip. Thx for the photos.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hey M.E., I was just thinking about you yesterday! My hubby came home from Austin wagging a big sack of freshly roasted Hatch chiles. I figured if anyone knew what to do with them all, it would be you. Got any suggestions?

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear your donkey friends left. Love the donkey ear babies. What a beautiful and unusual plant. Where did you find it?

Hill Country Hippie said...

Right here at King Feed!