Wednesday, August 22, 2012

ALL SHOOK UP & FABULOUS FIBERS

Things look any different to you? They should! Although I love the color of green that has been my blog's backdrop for the last five years, I've discovered that I also love the simplicity of white, and the way it makes all the photographs and illustrations pop. Soooo, I've decided to play with that for a while, using one of the basic templates offered by Blogger. If I decide I want to keep it, then I may hire the same lady who carried out my plan for my other blog, Miss Becky Goes Abroad, to help me do a birthday re-do of this blog. I'd like to perk up the banner and buttons and whatnot, but don't have the technical expertise to do it myself.  In the meantime, it's time for Wednesday's Wanderings!


A couple of days ago the Muses and I headed over to New Braunfels for a little splorin'. We were there to check out the fiber arts show in which our own Fiber Women had several pieces on display. We parked behind Huisache Grill, since that was where we planned to have lunch afterwards. As we were cutting through their backyard to get to the main street where the gallery was, we were reminded that they have several interesting shops and galleries, in quaint little historic cottages, right there on the grounds of the restaurant!


That little artist's co-op gallery on the left wasn't actually open on Mondays, but one of the artists happened to be there on the porch, doing some sprucing up. And, since two of the Muses happen to have turned "chatting up shopkeepers" into a fine art, it was no time at all before she invited us to come inside and take a look around.


Oh my, my. How I love towns that make an effort to preserve little buildings like this, instead of razing everything to make way for glass and steel. In fact, there's only one thing I like better than shops in cute little historic buildings...


and that's the ones where the artists each have their own little work space, with all their gorgeous art supplies out on display, for me to drool over! Anyhoo, from there we just had to hop across the railroad tracks to get to the big gallery on the main road downtown (can't remember its name), where we spent at least an hour drooling over every kind of hand-crafted fiber magic you can imagine, the most fabulous of which was crafted by our little Fiber Woman (a.k.a. Cheryl Elms).


She does most of her work in leather and sheepskin, and combines weaving with a bit of sewing, crocheting, hairpin lace-making, and who knows what else!




She doesn't limit herself to apparel, either. She also had several unique wall-hangings on display, but I was gently reminded that no photography was allowed in this gallery, before I got around to taking pictures of those!

All and all, the day was quite fabulous, ending with a wonderful little lunch at one of my favorite cafes. I do so love having such creative friends!

5 comments:

alexa said...

Yes, I have studio envy just drooling with you! and you are clear such a talented group - I love that hat in particular.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Alexa, too bad you don't live in Texas. Cheryl and her hubby have a permanent booth at the Texas Renaissance Festival each fall, where she sells all kinds of different hats and vests that she has worked on all year long. By the way, I love your name. Our daughter's named Alexis. :-)

Jeans 'n Tshirt said...

Hill country hippie we may need to meat cause i am a jeans 'n tshirt hippie! oh so much to still experience even after the 60s and 70s! ;o)

Hill Country Hippie said...

J&T - We've lived in the suburbs most of our marriage, and I did my best to play the good corporate wife and PTA mom, but about five years ago I decided enough was enough, and we moved here to the Texas Hill Country, hippy haven back in the early 70's when we were in college here. At long last I can let my hair down, so to speak!

Jeans 'n Tshirt said...

ahh and isnt it refreshing (letting your hair down!;o)