Monday, July 30, 2012

CHIHULY: A COLOR-MAD DREAM COME TRUE

I have been a major fan of glass artist Dale Chihuly ever since I stumbled upon a little documentary about him on tv years ago. I was deeply inspired by the way an accident, which should have been a career-ender, forced him to think outside the box and become the creative genius behind these works of art, even though he can no longer do the glass blowing himself. I happened to be back in school studying horticulture at the time, so I was especially excited by the installations he was doing in gardens and glass conservatories. Though I've had his work wallpapered on my computer, and his book Gardens & Glass on my coffee table, ever since, the only work of his that I'd ever seen up close and personal is the bit you can see at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. Until this weekend, that is. Though Dallas is not my favorite place we have ever lived, there is one thing, besides my friends and family, that I do really miss. The Arboretum. And, when I heard that this very same arboretum was to host a Chihuly exhibit, well, I just had to go, now didn't I?
The arboretum is situated on two estates overlooking White Rock lake,
and this infinity pool just appears to overflow into it.
This one piece alone took the installation team 2 1/2 days to assemble.
The only problem with this exhibit is that, well, once just isn't enough! Fortunately, it will be up through November 5th, so there's a chance I could go again in October, when it's cooler. Also, in conjunction with the arboretum's evening concert series, you can "enjoy the Chihuly exhibition in the evening glow of moonlight and tree lights with the artist's magnificently lit sculptures" and let the music accompany your stroll, stopping by the outdoor cafes for you favorite wine, champagne and evening nibbles. What's not to love about that?

So, if you live within three or four hundred miles of Dallas, and have a lick of sense, I trust you will make your way to this exhibit before it goes away, 'cause believe you me, coffee table books and computer backgrounds don't even come close to seeing the real deal.

No comments: