Saturday, June 2, 2012

A RAINBOW ON MY PLATE

Remember how they used to tell us we needed to have a rainbow on our plates every night? Well, I'm thinking this "Rainbow Stir-Fry" from my 30 Day Vegan class definitely passed the test. I'm really lovin' how simple but tasty all Heather's recipes have been so far. For this one we just sauteed some sliced carrots in a bit of olive or coconut oil, then added some chopped broccoli and a splash of water. After a couple of minutes we added all the rest of the ingredients -- corn kernels, purple cabbage, cherry tomatoes, minced garlic, and a bit of grated fresh ginger -- and stir-fried everything for a couple of minutes, then added another splash of water and put a lid on the pan to let everything steam for a couple of minutes. Last step is to Remove it from the heat, give it a stir, and leave it covered for 2-3 more minutes, depending on how crunchy you like your veggies.
To serve you just splash it with a bit of tamari or soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste, then serve it over the grain or noodle of your choice.
We used the coconut oil this time, which gave it a Thai flavor, and served it over some brown rice. Next time I may use olive or canola oil spiced up with a dash of sesame and/or chili oil, for more of a Chinese flavor, and maybe serve it over some lo mein or whole wheat pasta. I like having a rainbow on my plate!

2 comments:

Jodiann Cates said...

Love this! I just took a picture of my morning juice! It was a rainbow too! Then checked in on you right after and what? Your cooking a rainbow! Weeee!

Hill Country Hippie said...

So I'm not the only nut job who can't hardly make it through a meal without having to photograph something?