Friday, June 15, 2012

LANDING PAD

It's not unusual to hear helicopters overhead as I sit here at my computer. Not long ago, however, it sounded as if one was trying to land on our roof! I stepped out onto the balcony to see what was going on, and discovered that I hadn't been too far off the mark. It was a Life Flight helicopter, and it was swooping down from behind our hill, to land in the open field just in front of us.
I guess I had heard the sirens earlier, but that's not uncommon either, as they often pass by us on their way to the hospitals in Austin. I must have been so absorbed in whatever I was writing that I didn't even notice them stopping right in front of us, to await the chopper's arrival!
This has happened a time or two before, and it is both disturbing and comforting. Disturbing because you never know what has happened or who is involved -- whether, in such a small community, it might be someone we actually know. Comforting though because, well, you just never know when you might need Life Flight yourself, and it's good to know they shouldn't have any trouble at all finding us, and that they can land practically in our front yard!

No comments: