Sunday, May 13, 2012

KEEPIN' IT REAL: TO WOMEN WHO GALOSH

As soon as I began my latest art class assignment, I was immediately reminded of this post about "farm girl fashion" over on my very favorite blog -- the one that has kept me coming back on a near daily basis since, well, since I first discovered blogs -- Soule Mama.

Image from www.soulemama.com
The assignment was just to create this precious girl in layered skirts and aprons (pieced from fabric and paper), and place beside her something we are passionate about, whether it be sheep, art supplies, gardening tools, or even cupcakes! Well, I'm not passionate about sheep, but my instructor Junelle most certainly is, and as soon as I saw the roly-poly cuties she creates from paper, I just had to try it for myself!
Therefore, I decided to dedicate this journal page to the women who are out there keepin' it real. Those anti-sex-in-the-city-women who wear galoshes, not as a fashion statement, but out of necessity! Women like Amanda Soule who, on any given day, might:
  • kill a snake
  • birth a lamb, a blog post, an amazing book on The Creative Family, an inspiring new magazine called Taproot, or perhaps her own child, right there at home
  • knit a sweater, whip up a few more skirts or jammie bottoms, or sew costumes for a ballet troupe
  • rehab a 200 year old farmhouse
  • plant veggies, feed an army, then put up some preserves
  • gather eggs, honey, flocks, ruffles, or her five kiddoes for their home-school lessons
So, let's hear it for all those women like Amanda -- the women who are out there turning "homemaking" into something RADICAL!

2 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

Love the art! And I've been a fan of SouleMama since I saw a mention you made of her a few months ago. My kind of woman!

Nellie said...

Love your post today Becky! Am going to have to check out SouleMama for myself!