Saturday, April 28, 2012

WHAT'S IN THE JUG?

I suck at flower arranging, and I'm way too tight to pay a florist to do it for me. In fact, I won't hardly even splurge for the pre-made bouquets at the grocery store, unless it's for Easter or a baby shower or something. Occasionally, however, when I'm outside pruning and dead-heading, I will grab a handful of the trimmings and just stick them into my white ironstone jug.
Yesterday I went out to trim off the tall purple yarrow stems that were flopping over.  While there, I noticed that my red yucca bloom stalks were getting these big seed pods on them. When that happens, the stalks get very heavy and start falling over. I've even seen them cause a young plant to uproot itself, so I trim them off before that has a chance to happen.
The contents of the jug change from season to season, but somehow (and with no artifice or forethought on my part) always manage to look quite fetching. It's almost as if Mother Nature herself was pulling these bouquets together for me -- Hill Country Sunrise bouquets!

No comments: