Monday, April 16, 2012

STORIES FROM THE HEART: DAY 1

Day One began with friend Jr. High Linda and I attending a pre-conference workshop led by Jeanne Guy, while my friend Play Group Lynn set up her wares in the vendor room (she makes gorgeous jewelry!). The subject of our workshop was "The Power of Your Story: Rethink, Reframe, Re-Story Your Life."
Linda and I hooked up with some of my fellow bloggers and friends from previous conferences, and went to dinner at Magnolia Cafe on S. Congress, while Lynn hooked up with another friend and her two Austinite sons over at S. Congress Cafe. We found ourselves in the midst of a fun confab involving lots of hot rods parked up and down Congress, and rockabilly music. Turns out some of them were staying at our hotel!
We ended the day with a fabulous keynote speaker, Gail Straub, who's book, Returning to My Mother's House, I brought home with me and really, really look forward to reading. Oh yeah, and there was a dessert buffet and silent auction to peruse as well! Then it was back to our room to gab into the wee hours, and to drift off to sleep to the sound of my roomie practicing her violin.

2 comments:

susanalbert said...

Wow-sounds like a full day, with lots of sistership! Love your photos, Becky Sorry I missed the gabfest at the Magnolia, one of my favorite Austin places. That green car in your photo? It (or its twin) was parked out in front of my room the next morning! Looking forward to reading Day 2!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Susan, it was really nice to see you again. A week or two ago I posted about a new-to-us char-grilled burger place that my hubby and I discovered in Austin, called Top Notch. It still has car hop service, and shows movies occasionally on a cinderblock wall where they have painted a giant 50's style T.V. Anyway, my daughter called me Friday night, at the conference, to tell me that she had just driven past Top Notch, and that their entire parking lot was crammed full of hot rods like the ones at our hotel!