Sunday, April 29, 2012

GROW IT, SHOW IT, LONG AS I CAN GROW IT MY...

HAIR!
A month or two ago I was eavesdropping (as I so often do) on some women at the gym. They were talking about the great little Steve Martin play they had just seen at Texas State University. Well, I horned in on the conversation, and that's how the hubby and I ended up joining TSU's fine arts booster group, which hosts a pre-show dinner in connection with each of the theatre department's main productions. Last night we attended our very first one. Looks like the dinners are going to be fun. We got assigned to one of about 20 big round tables, and will have a chance to meet and visit with a different group of interesting people each time.
Some of the guests really got into the spirit of things, and came dressed for the occasion.  I hope we get to sit at their table one of these days!
The dinners are held in the JC Kellam building, right next door to the round theatre building, which sits in the middle of the water. Such a lovely little walk, from one to the other. A river runs through it, you know -- the campus, that is.
Then there was the play. The kids did a fabulous job. Such great costumes. So many favorite songs from my youth -- Let the Sun Shine In, Easy to be Hard, Good Morning Starshine, Aquarius, and of course Hair, to mention just a few. My older sister Kathy either bought or borrowed the album when it first came out, and I remember the two of us sitting with a dictionary, trying to look up all the words to one, particularly naughty, song, 'cause we didn't have a clue what any of them meant!
We should have felt totally elated after this chance to flash back to our youth, right? Then why did we walk away feeling so blue? Well, our first words to each other, upon reaching the car, sum it up nicely. "What the truck happened?" "Where did we go wrong?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued, how do I join? We just saw Million Dollar Quartet at Segerstrom Center and I noticed it's at the Bass Center for next year's season.
Sherri

Hill Country Hippie said...

All you have to do is go here and click on "Become a Member." http://www.finearts.txstate.edu/friends/