Saturday, December 17, 2011

A WINTER WALK IN WIMBERLEY

I found a couple of startling new additions when I went to walk the Wimberley hike & bike trail this week, for the first time in a couple of months.  What were they?  The sight, and sound, of rushing water!
There were new little streams and waterfalls all over the place!  I also spotted quite a few of these things...
little piles of stones, obviously arranged by human hands.  I seem to remember learning something about them -- I believe they were called cairns -- as a wee Girl Scout.  I think we even constructed a few ourselves, and they were meant to be landmarks or to convey some message to hikers or travelers who came after us.  So.  What do you suppose these cairns were trying to tell me?

2 comments:

GoP said...

I know I totally need to post...plenty of things I could post, just been crazy busy. I passed my qualifying exams and proposed my dissertation. Bringing in all my paperwork for IRB approval (human subjects always requires oversight) tomorrow. The end of the semester didn't seem to slow anything down...

My son and I went hiking yesterday too...he took off on a different path and I spent several extra miles hunting for him. And I wasn't wearing the right shoes for a prolonged hike so now I have a big blister on the bottom of one foot!!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Well, congratulations on passing the exams, and good luck with the dissertation!