Monday, November 7, 2011

ONE THING I LOVE: MY CLOSET CHRISTMAS ELF

My hubby went to Breed & Co. (so much more than a hardware store!) over in Austin the other day, to pick up some switch plate covers he had ordered.  Of course, he came home with a few extra surprises.  As usual, he tried to blame them all on me.  He claimed I needed a little something new to launch the season with.


It's a little game we play, to help keep his true identity under wraps.  Little did I know, when I first introduced him to "The Thomas Way" of doing Christmas, that he would grab hold of those reins and zoom right past me, just as I was trying to pull on the brakes and simplify.  Ah well, I must admit, he did pick two things that I will use daily (the container holds my kosher salt by the stove), rather than more gee gaws, and that cavorting reindeer does put a smile on my face, each time I see it.  Oh My Gosh.  I'm Santa's "Beard"!

3 comments:

Susan Ideus said...

Becky, I love the little gifts but am not familiar...what is "The Thomas Way" of doing Christmas?

Hill Country Hippie said...

Susan: Thomas is my maiden name, and that's just my way of saying "pulling out all the stops". In John's family they did Christmas much more conservatively than mine, and stopped getting their stockings filled ages ago, so when we first married I had to inform him that one is NEVER to old to have their stocking filled to overflowing, and a pile of pressies under the tree (though it needn't be big nor expensive stuff). Well, he took that ball and ran with it! I tried to take it all back later on, when the mountains of "stuff" threatened to overwhelm us, but it was too late. I had created a Christmas Monster!

Hill Country Hippie said...

*
Dani Thomas While I admire people who can celebrate the true spirit of Christmas, quietly with reserve and dignity, I do not aspire to become one. I enjoy excessive decorations, heady consumerism, strategic shopping, and all the gleeful materialism. Bring on the trim and trappings, too much is just enough!
4 hours ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane That's why you merged so well into the Thomas clan. It's like you were born to it!