Thursday, October 27, 2011

WHY WRITE? SHEDDING NEW LIGHT ON THE OLD FOLKS


This was my in-laws when I first met them.  I wish my kids could have known them then, instead of having most of their memories filled with the bad times, towards the end.  Unfortunately, that's the way it goes when all four of the grandparents were 30 before they had us,  and we were 29 and 33 before we had our first child.

Not long ago I mentioned that my hubby bought a new scanner, and he's been a busy little bee, scanning all our old slides.  Imagine my surprise when I opened up I-photo on my computer the other day, and found a bunch of photos of George and Theda in their early days.  Photos that I'd never seen before.  Photos like these:


How I wish I could have known them then -- known something about their personalities and sense of humor, their hopes and dreams, their struggles and triumphs.  If only I had more stories about them, that I could pass along to my kids -- something to supplant all those memories of dementia, pain, and humiliation.

So.  You wonder why I'm obsessed with writing it all down?  Well, there you have it, in a nutshell.  Our grandkids will have stories!

4 comments:

Nellie said...

And sad to say, we will be even older than OUR parents were when THEY became grandparents, with our own children waiting to marry and having kids later in life. I love the pictures of John's parents; his dad looks like someone out of an old John Wayne movie, while his mom has an exotic, movie star look!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I don't know what the deal was with that cowboy outfit. I never even knew him to wear a pair of boots!

Rainy Day Gardener said...

I totally agree with you..but for me, it's for my kids too. They are little now and it would be interesting to see me from a different light later, when they are older.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I think the kids appreciate the blogs too, especially my daughter. My grown nephew and his wife told me they never felt like they really new me, until they started reading my blog. My kids are especially excited about my other blog, Miss Becky Goes Abroad, now that I've finally got to the part where they are overseas with us. It's helping them to dredge up a lot of great memories!