Friday, October 7, 2011

'TIS THE SEASON: GIFT-GIVING

Caught in the act!
I can't believe it.  I was just sitting here watching the sun come up one morning not long ago, amazed that it was time to start thinkin' about Christmas gifts already, when suddenly it came to me -- the perfect gift for my dear hubby.  It's a miracle!  He has to be the hardest person in the world to buy gifts for.  The only things he likes are all the gizmos I know nothing about, and the truth of the matter is, if there is a piece of equipment out there anywhere that he hasn't already bought?  It's only because he doesn't really want it.  He's not one to drag his feet when a shiny new doo-dad comes on the market.  On top of all that, he's kinda forgetful and a bit impatient.  I force him to make a wish list every year, go out and buy a bunch of the stuff on it, then end up spittin' bullets, when, a week or two before Christmas, he goes out shopping and comes home wagging a few goodies for himself -- things he forgot he had put on his list, which I already had wrapped and ready to go under the tree!  Now I ask you, who goes shopping for themselves right before Christmas?

But not this year, by-doggie!  This year there will be neither spitting of bullets nor gnashing of teeth!  For the first time in forty years, I know exactly what to give him, and it's going to blow. his. mind!  If I can just pull it off.  It will involve a bit of sneaking and snatching -- two things I'm not very good at.  Too bad I can't write anything more about it until after the holidays!
P.S.  Actually, that wasn't really Santa in the fireplace of the garden center giftshop where I used to work.  That was just half of Santa -- and I had a devil of a time getting him shoved up into it!  Did you happen to notice that Santa traded in his traditional boots for some of the super-comfy garden clogs that we sold there in the shop?

No comments: