Friday, October 14, 2011

FLAPPABLE ME

Normally, I'm a pretty laid back person.  But, judging from the roiling in my stomach right now, we must be fixin' to travel!
What is it with me?  My sisters just love getting ready for a trip -- mapping out their routes, making reservations and itineraries, laying out all the outfits they wish to take and choosing just the right accessories for each -- but not me, baby!  I love being on the trip, and I love thinking about it for years afterwards, being able to relive it all through my blog and photos, but that period right before a trip?  That I hate.

That's cuz, no matter how hard I try to prevent it, this is when my mind seems determined to focus on all the things that could possibly go wrong on the trip.  I obsess over how much it is all going to cost, and whether we can really afford it (we usually take one vacation every 5 or 10 years, and this is our second in one year!).  I think about my propensity for motion sickness.  I think about all the missed connections and cancelled flights of previous trips, and how something like that could seriously screw up my trying to meet up with John at La Guardia in NY, since we're coming in on separate flights.  I think about people I should try to see while I'm there, and the complications of working it all out.  I stew over the fact that John has me leaving on a 6:00 a.m. flight, which means checking in at the airport by 4 or 4:30,  and if you allow an hour for the drive and time to park the car and shuttle in, that means leaving the house by 2:30 or 3:00 and making that deer-dodging drive in total darkness.  Me.  Alone.  With my night blindness.  And then?  Then I squash it all down, and I just DO it!  Because, in the end, I'm always glad I did.

I may make one minor adjustment though.  I'm thinking that driving into Austin the evening before, having a nice leisurely dinner with my precious daughter, then checking into a hotel right near the airport for a good night's sleep, and being able to both set an alarm and request a wake-up call, to make sure I'm up on time, might go a heck of a long way towards easing this stomach problem.  Don't you?

No comments: