Wednesday, September 7, 2011

'TIS THE SEASON: HATCH CHILES

I added the silverware to the picture to give you an idea of their size.
I stumbled across these beauties in our little Brookshire Bros. store last week, and decided it was high time I try these new chiles that have suddenly become so popular, they are throwing festivals in their honor.  I had no clue what to do with them, but bought them anyway.

A couple of days later, when the kids were due to arrive, and I needed something to feed them, I remembered that Homesick Texan had once done an article about funeral food, and the comforting dishes one takes to the gatherings afterwards.  Her contribution had been a casserole involving Hatch chiles, potatoes, onions and cream, all of which I just happened to have on hand!

What's really funny is that, once I read over the recipe, I realized it was nothing more than a basic French gratin -- the exact same thing that my Frenchy-blog-friends are always making!  Remember how I once told you that you need to have a few basic techniques in your arsenal, which you know by heart?  Recipes that are versatile enough to adapt to your own special tweaks, and to whatever ingredients are in season or at hand?  Well, this is one of them -- and a mighty tasty one at that!

HOMESICK TEXAN'S HATCH CHILE POTATO CASSEROLE
Serves 6 - 8

Pre-heat oven to 350 F.  Melt 2 T. butter in a heavy, oven-safe skillet on med-low.  Cook one diced yellow onion and two diced Hatch or Anaheim chiles until onions start to brown a bit, about 15 minutes.  Turn off heat.

In a small bowl, mix together two cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper and a pinch of cayenne.  Add 2 lbs. peeled and diced russet potatoes to the skillet and mix with the onions and peppers.  Stir in the garlic and spice mixture.  Pour 1 cup heavy cream over the potatoes and cover skillet with foil. 

Bake one hour at 350 F.  After an hour, remove and discard foil, then cut up another 2 T. butter and dot on top of cooked potatoes.  Place skillet under the broiler for two minutes, or until butter has melted and potatoes are starting to brown on top.  Let cool a bit and serve.

4 comments:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:

*
Jean Ohm The potato casserole sounds yummy!
12 hours ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane It was! Might be even better with a little cheese added to it.

Sharon Lippincott said...

I grew up eating Hatch chili, tho Chimayo is the absolute best. The latter is hard to find if you don't live in north-central New Mexico, but Hatch chili has even come to Pittsburgh. I plan to go to the local roast in a couple of weeks and stock up. I did buy a couple of cans at Trader Jo not long ago and think I'll try this recipe for dinner. Yum!

Marguerite said...

Will definitely save this recipe for a future dinner. Love Hatch chilies. Thanks!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I still have several of the chilies left -- those suckers are big! Anyone got any suggestions for other ways to use them?