Sunday, September 25, 2011

SLOW AND SIMPLE SUNDAY: SLIDE SHOWS


Earlier this week I needed some photos from a month-long jaunt through Europe that we took back in the seventies, to illustrate a post on my other blog, Miss Becky Goes Abroad.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a single one in any of our albums.  As it turns out, that was because we had them all made into slides -- slides which we probably looked at once or twice when we first got them back, then packed away for 34 years!

Well, one thing led to another, and my hubby ended up ordering a new scanner, which enabled him to download a lot of these slides onto our computer.  Which meant that now, instead of dragging out the screen, projector, and boxes full of slide trays, and having to stop and wait every five minutes while he tried to fix a jammed slide, we were able to sit ourselves down in those comfy recliners down in the man-cave, and watch an automatic slide show on his bigass TV!  Best of all?  It brought back to life an era that we had all but forgotten.

I remember the first time John took me to Odessa to meet his family.  His parents pulled out a bunch of old slides and movies, and it was like getting to watch him grow up, and having all the gaps filled in on what I had been missing about him!  So here's what I'm thinking.  Lex is coming over today to hang with us for a while, and I'm thinkin' we should give her a peek at a side of her parents she's never seen before.  Then, by the time both kids get here for the holidays (possibly with their special new friends in tow), John should have all the slides from their childhoods ready to go, and all that will be left to do is pop the corn and make the hot chocolate!

Pulling out old slides and movies to share with your loved ones?  It's simple, it forces us to slow down and remember, and it makes me so very happy.  When 's the last time you did it?  Well, that's too long my friend!

2 comments:

Nellie said...

I love this day's entry into your blog. Now David and I want to take our slides to someone smart like John (neither one of us are smart like John) and get them turned into a CD/DVD (whatever its called) so we can watch all those pictures we took in the 70's of Europe, that have been packed away since 1976/77! Great idea. and btw, I love love love looking at pictures of you and John "back in the day"- no wonder you fell for one another- you were both such good looking people! And still are! :) nellie

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks Nellie. I have to admit, I quite enjoyed snooping through all your old photo albums too, when you let me borrow them. We were all a bunch of young cuties back then!