Monday, September 12, 2011

SCARED I MIGHT BE TURNING INTO THAT PERSON


We all know them -- that person that you hate going to restaurants with.  The one who is so picky they can never order anything as-is off the menu, and must spend 30 minutes holding up their starving table-mates while they enumerate all their special requests for the poor waiter.  Then, when the food finally does come out, there is always something wrong with theirs, and it must be sent back.  We've dropped out of dinner clubs before, because of prima donnas like that, yet now I fear I just might be turning into one myself!


I haven't started sending food back yet, but I am getting bold enough to be a little more specific when I order, especially when it's a place I go to frequently.  For instance, my husband often snickers when I say "I'll have a diet coke with a couple of lime slices, and the 'Loaded Baked Potato' -- no butter, no sour cream, side of salsa."  He always points out that one can't really call it "loaded" if one leaves off all the "good stuff".  Can I help it if that's the way I like it?


But this?  This has never happened to me before.  We were driving over to Johnson City this weekend for an art show, and decided it would be the perfect time to try out a restaurant there that's been recommended many times.  Their special of the day was meat loaf with tomato relish, mashed potatoes and green beans - one of my hubby's favorites, but not something I usually order.  However, on that day it just sounded really good to me.  Looked good too, though it smelled, well, not bad, just...different.  I took a great big bite, then froze.  I guess I was trying to analyze the disconnect between what I was expecting, and what I was tasting.  I finally came too when I heard my husband snorting.  "Man, you should see the look on your face!" he chortled.

I'm not sure how to describe it other than to say it was cinnamony-sweet.  Some people might really like it, but I've hated cinnamon with tomatoes ever since we were served spaghetti with cinnamon sauce at the American Club in Bahrain once.  I didn't complain, since it was a strictly personal thing, I just didn't eat it.  John took one bite, but didn't offer to take it off my hands.  He just handed me half his sandwich.

There was no way to rearrange that meatloaf, to make it look like I ate most of it, so of course our waitress was upset when she came to clear the plates.  She offered to bring me a different entree.  She offerred me a dessert.  I said no, thanks, that really wasn't necessary.  It was just me.  When the bill came out, she had removed my meal from it.  I felt really bad.  I doubled her tip.  I promise to behave myself if you ever go out to eat with me.

3 comments:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
o
Nellie Gonsoulin Hartsell Looks like the restaurant was at least cute! They should have posted on the menu that it was "sweet meatloaf"... I'm sure they have many customers that are not expecting a cinnamon taste!
18 hours ago · LikeUnlike
o
Becky Thomas Lane At least John's sandwich was pretty good -- a German take on grilled ham and cheese, with a little kraut on it! So, do you and Paula remember the Italian Night dinners at the American Club? Usually they were pretty good, but one night someone dumped a bunch of cinnamon in the spaghetti sauce. Don't know if it was an accident or on purpose, but that was not a happy surprise!
17 hours ago via · LikeUnlike
o
Nellie Gonsoulin Hartsell I don't remember! Darn! What I remember the most was having each other over for dinner; all those dinner parties! And wearing our long dresses to them. :)
17 hours ago · LikeUnlike
o
Priscilla Lane Cincinnati Chili has cinnamon. Definitely an acquired taste. But it's NOT sweet. I think the waitress was right to take the charge off your bill.
14 hours ago · LikeUnlike
o
Nicki Thomsen why in the name of god would anyone mix tomatoes and cinnamon.....don't blame you for not eating it. . .

Gop said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for something else! I rarely do it but I have said "I'm so sorry, this wasn't what I was expecting, I'd like to order something else." Usually they comp one of the meals but I never ask them to. It isn't like I found a dead mouse, just didn't like the thing, so I don't ask for a refund. But it is good manners/customer service to give one. When I waited tables I always did!

If it is not the majority of the meal (side dish, dessert) I just say "Not ordering that again!" and push it aside...

Hill Country Hippie said...

You're right Gop, it's just that, having worked in various "service" industries most of my life, and having two siblings who put themselves through college waiting tables, I just hate giving them any more grief that I absolutely have to!