Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'VE FALLEN FOR A FEED STORE!


Have I ever told you how much I love, love, love our local store, King Feed and Hardware?  Not only is it the place where I buy most all of my plants and gardening supplies, it's also the place to go if you need any materials for a project, some paint, some live chickies or bunnies, a pair of hiking shoes or wellies, power tools, aquarium supplies, books or magazines on animal care or gardening, a Carhart jacket, or even toys for your pets!


Now, however, there's one more thing to love about King Feed. You'll find it through these doors, in a corner of the old, original building that's just been used for storage since the new section was added on. "What is it?" you ask.


Their coffee shop!  Rafiki Coffee Shop, to be precise, which was formerly out on the edge of town, and which uses the same delicious coffees (from Austin micro-roaster Barrett's) and Harney & Sons teas that we sell through The Bountiful Sprout.


Just be careful when you wander past all the wonderful plants, and those precious chickies and bunnies.  I'm tellin' ya, they're mighty hard to resist!


There's just one problem.  How do the Muses and I support this new endeavor, without jilting our former favorite, which is right next door!

7 comments:

Marguerite said...

King Hardware looks like a really special place! I love,love,love these kind of stores. Thanks for the tip on Barrett coffee. I have been wondering about a local Austin (?) roaster. I looks like these pics were from last spring judging by the redbud tree? I have been visiting a friend who lives in Bee Cave, TX. It's about 8 miles down the road from our house. I love it's small town charm and big city amenities.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Marguerite, only that first photo was from spring (I needed one of the front of the store). The rest were taken yesterday. I'm not a coffee drinker, but our customers seem to be crazy about Barrett's coffee, especially one called Monkey Roast. Willy Nelson used to send his private chef to buy it from us! Have you ever been to Natural Gardener? It's a great nursery out Old Bee Caves Road.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
*
JoBeth Cloud Do they have quilting supplies? Best place to buy quilting material/supplies in Pagosa Spring, CO is the Hardware store. LOL
3 hours ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane Not yet, but who knows?

d.a. said...

Just went by there today. I feel so awful - I know the coffee shop next door's owner - but this place is so homey & quirky, just like our lil' slice o' heaven here in the Hills! And I love Barrett's coffee - I even buy the 2.5 lb bags of coffee through the co-op. I also like the fact they use real spoons, and not plastic stir sticks. Guess I'll alternate coffee stops between the two. :-)

Hill Country Hippie said...

That's what we're thinking.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Oh yeah, one more thing. If it makes you feel any better d.a., there once was a lovely little cafe/coffee shop called Jitters, just across the street from both of these. Maui Wowi put them out of business when they opened.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to have such a cosmopolitan new coffee shop in the center of Wimberley. Finally. Thank you King Feed and Rafiki! Really suits the charm of the area. Rafiki definitely serves the best coffee in Wimberley - and serves it with grace and style.