Tuesday, September 27, 2011

GOTTA LOVE AUSTIN RESTAURANT WEEK

When else do you get the chance to enjoy a three-course meal at some of Austin's hottest dining venues, for as little as $25 or $35?  Last night, thanks to this most wonderful event, we were able to treat our daughter to dinner at Green Pastures, a very cool place in a gorgeous old white Victorian house near Oltorf and S. First, which was once located on a huge piece of property out in the country, stretching all the way to Barton Springs, but somehow ended up in the heart of a big, bustling city.
Following the French "prix fixe" model, we were offered three different starters to choose from...

My Texas Trio of ribs, quail, and an alligator-andouille gumbo
Lexie's brie soup,  grilled brie and berry sandwich, and artichoke-ratatouille thingy
 three entrees...

Their beef filet and mashed sweet potatoes,
 which I sampled (several times) and moaned over
My redfish, crab cake, cheese grits combo
 and at least four desserts!

Lexie's cheesecake with two berry sauces
John's Helen Corbett Pee-can Ball (vanilla ice cream rolled in toasted pecans with hot fudge
Not shown are John's appetizer of Lobster Tempura served over wasabi mashed potatoes, my dessert of white chocolate bread pudding, and the extra dessert which we didn't order, Quack Cake -- a chocolate/duck fat concoction.  I seriously would have tried that one, if I didn't already have one of Sugar Shack Bakery's chocolate cakes in my fridge, for celebrating Lex's new job and an upcoming birthday.  The other two?  No way Jose'!

Yep, you just gotta love Austin Restaurant Week!

2 comments:

Marguerite said...

How divine! I have sweet memories of Green Pastures as my wedding rehearsal dinner was held there in June, 1972. I have a well loved Helen Corbitt cookbook and may have learned to cook with her recipes. Funny, our daughter is starting a new job next week. She has been working at Breed & Co. since graduating and now has her first professional job. Only problem is she has to move back to Houston and we move to Austin in October! Will have to make a visit to Green Pastures soon.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Marguerite, Lex and I got nosy and went wandering around upstairs, and I thought it looked like a great place for a wedding or rehearsal dinner! I love Breed & Co. We were there just the other day ordering some cool switch plates. What will your daughter be doing in Houston?