Friday, August 26, 2011

TIS THE SEASON FOR: TEXAS PERSIMMONS...


...and for grody sidewalks in the Cantina Garden!

 I discovered and identified that specimen above the first summer after we bought this place.  I'm sure it was here long before the house was even built (they are very slow growers, maxing out at about 35 ft.).  Now, it seems, we have another smaller one, over on the side of the house.

I just discovered that one the other day, when I was coming down the stairs and suddenly noticed the big black orbs on that scrawny twig of a tree.  Since only one in many specimens is a female fruiting tree, what are the odds that I would have not one, but two, right up next to my house!  They are both tucked up under large live oaks, so I'm guessing they are happy there.

I've read that early settlers used that purple-black juice to dye leather (I can certainly vouch for its staining capabilities!) and valued its hard, heavy wood, which is in the ebony family.  I also hear that the little black fruits rival the common persimmon in sweetness and flavor, and make a very good jam.  I have tasted a couple, and they were pretty good, but I'm not likely to ever find out about the jam, for it seems I have quite a bit of competition for that fruit. 

All kinds of birds and mammals love it.  Guess that's why I can never find more than one or two ripe ones at a time.  In addition to those who snatch my fruit, we've got the deer browsing the leaves, birds roosting and nesting in the tree, and the flowers attract many pollinators.  It's even a food source for butterfly larvae, and a source of nectar for adult butterflies!  So, I'll give the fruit up to them, and just be content with the fact that I have two lovely little specimen trees, with gorgeous peely bark at certain times of the year, which then reveals a beautiful, smooth underlayer of mottled greys and pinks.  Best of all, they don't seem to be the least bit phased by this wicked heat and drought we are experiencing.  Oh yeah, and I got them both for free!

1 comment:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Received via Facebook:

*
JoBeth Cloud Oh come on Beck....jam is easy to make and it is a great gift!
Friday at 11:24am · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane Yeah, but how do you make it when the birds and raccoons keep beating you to all the fruit!
Friday at 12:08pm · LikeUnlike
*
Deborah Doblado Bowers Yes, the persimmons don't seem to be bothered by the drought and heat. We have a few, but no females bearing fruit.
Friday at 12:58pm · LikeUnlike
*
Nellie Gonsoulin Hartsell why don't you add some "fake color" to your pictures so it LOOKS like it has rained?
23 hours ago · LikeUnlike
*
Becky Thomas Lane Ha! I'd have to get John to do it. I don't know how to use Photoshop!