Wednesday, August 17, 2011

SUMMER READING


Woohoo!  August is more than halfway over!  I started to add "only six more weeks of sweltering!", but then decided I'd better not.  Don't wanna jinx the whole situation, 'cause with the way this summer has been going, there's just no tellin' when the "new" version of summer's-end might be!

Since it's been way too hot here this summer to spend any time out in the Cantina Garden, I've had plenty of time to stay inside where it's semi-cool (can't wait to see our next electric bill!), curled up with a good book.  I finally finished my pile of books about France, including Au Revoir by Mary Moody and My French Life by Vicki Archer, and have now immersed myself in The Dirty Life!  I'm really loving it, but it has definitely strengthened my conviction that I was not cut out for the farming life. (Rats and weasels and muck, oh my!)  The part where their new little cow got mauled by the neighbors pit bull just about did me in.  It's the story of New York journalist Kristin Kimball, who goes on assignment to interview a young, idealistic farmer who would prefer to live in a cashless society, then shucks it all to marry him.  Sound familiar?  In a way it reminds me of The Unlikely Lavender Queen, which I reviewed for you here, only this one has a lot less whining, and a lot more teamwork, which makes the characters a lot more, ahem, likable!

Next up on my reading list are Ava's Man and All Over But The Shoutin', both by Rick Bragg, and then...well...I'm not sure.  I was kinda hopin' you could help me out there.  Now, from looking at my list here, you might think I read nothing but memoir, but that's not true at all.  I loves me a good juicy novel, and have even been known to wander into the Young Adult section now and again!  So tell me, what have you read recently, that you could hardly bear to put down?

4 comments:

GoP said...

I liked The Dirty Life way better than The Unlikely Lavender Queen! Like you, it made me realize that my little garden and 4 chickens is more than enough (though that won't stop me from harrassing my husband for a couple of pygmy dairy goats!)

GoP said...

I forgot to answer the actual question...I've read both John Verdon novels this summer and liked them both. Think of a Number and Shut Your Eyes Tight. Complex police procedurals. I also enjoyed God Is Not One by Stephen Prothero about the eight major world religions. Oh! And The Paris Wife was phenomenal!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I almost bought The Paris Wife this weekend, but thought maybe it was time to wean myself off of my French high (some might call it an obsession). However, after seeing Midnight in Paris, I really would like to learn more about Hemingway as a person.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
o
Priscilla Lane I can relate to a Lavender Queen doing some whining. I just harvested some last week (in hopes of doing a trade with a local soap maker), and MAN was I stiff the next day. Stoop labor is no picnic, and I only have 7 or 8 plants. Can't imagine a whole field of 'em.
Yesterday at 7:20pm · LikeUnlike
o
Becky Thomas Lane That's why I wanted these terraced beds -- no more stooping or squatting! I made a little stone pathway at the back of each bed, so I can stand there while I work on the bed just above it. It's fantastic!
22 hours ago via · LikeUnlike
o
Priscilla Lane Good thinkin', Chiquita. Unfortunately our garden didn't lend itself to that kind of set-up, but I do love it anyway. As for the lavender, next step is picking all those teensy little blossoms off their stems. Way labor intensive, but at least it isn't STOOP labor!!