Sunday, August 28, 2011

ONE THING I LOVE: LIFE IN THE TREETOPS

I was unlocking my front door the other day, and happened to glance through the door, across the living and dining rooms, and out the windows on the opposite side of the house.  Much to my surprise, I found myself gasping.  Almost seven years in, and the view from these windows still has the ability to take my breath away!

Not bad, huh?  Especially for someone who's spent most of her life staring out at brick walls and privacy fences!  Ever so often I just have to pinch myself.  I can't help but wonder, "Is this really where I live now, or am I just dreaming?"

This little window in the living room looks out into the big oak tree next to our staircase.  This is where we stood to watch those jays chase that big ol' snake out of the tree.

This is the eastern corner of our house, where the sun comes up to greet me each morning.

Here you see my journal-writing nest in the corner of the dining room, and the porch which acts as our outdoor dining area, hummingbird-watching post, and late-afternoon-rocking spot.  There's another big oak and a Texas persimmon right in front of where DH is standing, and there is always something going on in their branches.  That porch rail is the perfect spot for eating a drippy peach, or a piece of watermelon.  I think my hubby likes to test himself, see how far into the Cantina Garden he can spit those seeds.
This window above my desk is where I enjoy seeing the hawks circle past, and where I watched the guy from Tank Town make the Hail Mary sign of the cross on his chest before revving his truck engine, then gunning his way up that last incline and around a sharp bend, as he towed that giant rain tank into place.  I was white-knuckled the whole time, praying right along with him!  It's also the window where a bat decided to attach himself to the screen for several days, giving me the evil eye whenever I was at my computer.  So very disconcerting.

This is the view I get to enjoy whenever I'm working in the kitchen.  It's where I was standing that time I heard a strange roar, and suddenly realized that, in the blink of an eye, our little creek had been transformed into a raging river.  I was so very glad that I was safe and sound, up here in the treetops!

This all just goes to prove that dreams really can come true, for I've been dreaming of living in a treehouse since I was just a wee little girl, reading Swiss Family Robinson for the very first time!

1 comment:

Teri H said...

Y'all have gorgeous views!