Friday, July 15, 2011

SEASONAL COOKING:TOMATOES


I tried a new recipe yesterday, for a tomato tart.  It was pretty dang yummy, and yet...

it wasn't the perfect tomato tart.  You see, the combination of buttery pastry, mozzarella, parmesan, basil, garlic and mayonnaise was so rich and yummy, it pretty much obliterated the flavor of the tomatoes, tasty as they were.  So I'm still searching, for just the right recipe -- one that will highlight the flavor of the tomatoes, rather that overpower it.  Any suggestions?

Of course, imperfect though it may be, that's not gonna stop us from polishing off this baby!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Maybe you should roast the tomatos first.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Ha! Actually, I had twice that number of tomatoes to start with. Roasted half of them, to use for other things, then was looking for some way to use up the rest, and decided on tomato tart. I really need to go back and taste the one that Kerbey Lane Cafe makes, with feta and kalamata olives, to see if I can figure out what else goes in it. Too bad I really suck at doing that!