Friday, July 8, 2011

BROWNIE BLISS


Despite my notorious sweet tooth, I don't do much baking.  Actually, that's precisely why I don't.  I just don't need that much temptation sitting around my house.  It's kinda sad really.  My husband gave me a super-duper KitchenAid mixer a few years back, and this is about all it gets used for these days:

Once in a blue moon, though, if I'm having company or get invited to a potluck, I'll use that as an excuse to whip up a batch of my special brownies. No, not that kind of brownie!  I'm talking about the ones on that plate in the photo.  If you know me at all, you've probably had one of my Mexican Chocolate Streusel Brownies -- my favorite in recent years.  I posted the recipe here.  But I was getting a bit tired of those, so when I needed something to take to Pioneer Woman's potluck on the 4th, and to take to a family birthday bash this weekend, I decided to dig out these two golden oldies, from back in my days at Chez Vous Catering in Midland.   If I'm lucky, I just might manage to break a few when I'm taking them out of the pan, and will be forced to stick those in a little baggie in the freezer, to have with a cup of hot tea every once in a while. ;-)

WHITE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
from Nantucket Open-House Cookbook by Sarah Leah Chase

1 c. unsalted butter
10 oz. white chocolate, broken into small pieces
1 1/4 c. sugar
4 large eggs
1 T. vanilla extract
2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans
  • Preheat the oven to 325 F.  Line an 11 x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil, leaving a little overhang around the edges of the pan.  Butter the foil.
  • Heat the butter and chocolate, stirring frequently, in a large saucepan over low heat, until melted and smooth.  Remove from the heat.
  • Using a wooden spoon, stir the sugar into the melted chocolate, then stir in the eggs and vanilla. (the mixture will look curdled)  Add the flour, salt, and chopped pecans.  Quickly stir just until mixed.  Pour the batter into the pan.
  • Bake the brownies until the top is lightly golden but the center is still somewhat soft when pressed lightly, 30 - 35 minutes.  Let cool to room temperature.
  • Refrigerate the brownies at least 3 hours.  Using the foil, lift the brownies from the pan.  Cut into 20 - 25 squares.
KAHLUA CHOCOLATE WALNUT SQUARES WITH BROWN BUTTER ICING

1 1/4 c. sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. soft butter or margarine
3/4 c. brown sugar (packed)
1 large egg
1/4 c. Kahlua
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/3 c. chopped walnuts
1 T. Kahlua for tops of bars
Brown Butter Icing (see below)
24 walnut halves (optional)
  • Resift flour with baking powder and salt.
  • Cream butter, sugar and egg well.  Stir in 1/4 c. Kahlua, then flour mixture, blending well.
  • Fold in chocolate pieces and walnuts.  Turn into greased baking pan (7x11x1 1/2 inches), and spread level.  Bake at 350 F. for about 30 minutes, until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
  • Remove from oven and cool in pan 15 minutes, then brush top with remaining tablespoon of Kahlua.  When cold, spread with Brown Butter Icing.  Let stand until icing is set, then cut into 24 squares.  Top each square with a walnut half, if desired.
BROWN BUTTER ICING

 Place 2 T. butter in saucepan over low heat.  Heat until butter is lightly browned.  Remove from heat and add 1 T. Kahlua, 2 tsp. milk or light cream, and 1 1/3 c. sifted powdered sugar.  Beat smooth.  May add another teaspoon of milk if needed.

No comments: