Thursday, April 14, 2011

NOT MY USUAL TECHNOPHOBIA

John's TV
Is it just me, or does anyone else out there dislike Blu-ray?  Oddly enough, it has absolutely nothing at all to do with my usual reasons.  It's not because DH had already purchased one big honkin' TV, not all that long ago, and I didn't see why it needed to be replaced.  And it wasn't because I couldn't figure out how to operate it on my own.  I haven't been able to operate any of John's TV or stereo equipment in years, so that's nothing new!

Nope, the problem is something that surprised even me.  I thought all that hyper-clarity would make everything seem more realistic, but, for me at least, it had the opposite effect.  When I watch a movie, I want to loose myself in it.  I want to get so caught up in the story that I forget I'm in my own living room, watching it on TV.  Blue-ray won't let me do that, and I have no idea why.

My TV
Can something be so real that it looks fake?  For whatever reason, there is something about that vivid color and uber-sharp image, about seeing every pore and zit on a character's skin, that makes it all but impossible for me to suspend my disbelief.  It is a constant reminder that those are just actors on a set, and I'm still sitting in John's man-cave, not lost in another world.  Yet I have no problem at all, when watching a movie on my tiny TV upstairs.  Go figure.

1 comment:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
*Priscilla Lane: I am SO glad someone else is not a fan of HDTV. Guess I'm a real fogy, but TV is just TV. Why do we need high definition?