Sunday, April 24, 2011

ESCAPE PLAN

This morning, just as I was barely coming awake, I thought I caught a whiff of smoke -- probably a remnant of whatever dream I was having.  Nevertheless, it got me to thinkin'... about what I would do if someone were to come pounding on my door just then.  What if they were to tell me that a huge wildfire was just minutes away from our home, and we had to get out, right then and there?  What would I grab?  What would you grab?  Quick!  Grab a pencil or pen, and without getting up to look around your house, jot down the first five things that pop into your head, other than people and pets (I'm sincerely hoping that they would be at the top of all our lists!), and share what you came up with in the comments below.

Here are the first five things that popped into mine (and I bet #1 will come as a big shock to no one!):
  • The big box of photos and diaries that I am using to write my Miss Becky Goes Abroad blog
  • All John's medications, my glasses, and some underwear
  • The bag of stuff we removed from our safe deposit box in Houston, but haven't yet placed in one here in Wimberley (our bank's boxes are all taken, and the list of people who are waiting for someone to move or die is long)
  • All the tickets, vouchers, itineraries, etc. for our French riverboat cruise, which just came in the mail yesterday
  • Our passports
Considering how high the risk for wildfires is around here right now (high enough that I'm rethinking our plans to grill our Easter dinner out of doors), I'm thinkin' I just might pack a little bag and keep it by the door, at least until we get some rain, just to be on the safe side.  So, be sure to share your "must-saves" with us in the comment section below, lest I forget to pack something vital in my little green bag!

3 comments:

PLane said...

I was awakened by tornado sirens in the wee hours of Wed. morning. After checking the local weather report, I ran outside (barefoot in my PJ's) to tuck the chairs under the bench on the deck, turn over the glass top tables, and haul the smoker and garbage can into the garage. Then I hauled Mike to the basement and tried, but failed, to corral the cats. I would have been sorry to lose the cats, but I really couldn't be responsible for their decision to run away from me!

The next morning it occurred to me that next time I'd be sure we had one or two changes of clothes and a pair of shoes. Think I might stash some old jeans, shirts undies & sneakers in one of the basement storage rooms since they're basically concrete bunkers and unlikely to get blown away even in a terrible storm! I also wished I had grabbed my engagement ring, but in the end possessions are just things. Having my honey safe was most important.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yikes! Sounds scary! Yeah, I thought about whether I should put some of my jewelry in my e-vac case, but decided I'd rather use the space for more photos and family history.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
#
Marilyn Brooks Richardson: Been thinking the same things lately. Love your writing!
Yesterday at 9:50am · LikeUnlike
#
Becky Thomas Lane: Thanks Marilyn! It's so good to reconnect with all my old church friends from Midland. That church was such a lifeline for me when we moved there, with one small toddler, and another one due at any moment. It was like being welcomed into a big extended family!
Yesterday at 11:00am · LikeUnlike
#
Cathy Sidener Barton: Ditto what Marilyn said.... and also ditto what Becky said. In many ways, I miss Midland.