Wednesday, March 2, 2011

THESE LEGS WEREN'T MADE FOR HIKIN'

Outdoor Woman in her kayak, with her pal Fiber Woman

Outdoor Woman loves to hike and explore.  She even went trekking in Nepal once, which proves she ain't no wussie.  In a few weeks she'll be heading off to explore Africa with a few girlfriends.  In the meantime, since she just doesn't have enough to do, what with her vegetable garden, her dogs, her chickens, her mother's failing health, her duties as a Master Naturalist who does property evaluations and conducts tours at the Blue Hole and such, her duties managing the bookings at the historical Winters-Wimberley homestead, and the work she does with area 4th-graders and another Wimberley womens' group, she's decided to organize a quick get-away down to the Big Bend/Terlingua area for we Muses.  I am neither a hiker nor an explorer.  I am, in fact, a major wussie...a wussie with short, stubby legs.   Should be interesting.

2 comments:

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Email:

On Mar 2, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Paula Sanford wrote:

when are you going hiking in big bend? it is nice to have friends that get you out of your comfort zone and encourage new experiences. are you also going down the river? spring in big bend should be really nice. will you have to practice with a pack. i see people in my neighborhood getting ready for hikes by walking carrying a backpack. who would have thought becky lane going on a hiking trip!!!

Hill Country Hippie: It may not happen after all. One of the Muses can't go at the time we discussed, and it may be too expensive if we don't split it four ways. I imagine we'll do it eventually though. Originally they talked about camping out, and I wasn't too gung ho, but then one of their daughters went and stayed in a neat little adobe cabin that she really liked, so we decided to try and rent that place in April. It's about 30 minutes outside of Terlingua, and the plan was just to hang out there - no official hikes with backpacks or any raft trips, but I knew they'd want me to hike around and explore the area with them.

Hill Country Hippie said...

From Fiber Woman, via email: ..\I just wanted to set your mind at ease-----I'm not a big "hiker"--totally out of shape-and when we went to the sierra's I wondered if I could keep up with her-and i was fine--more of a wonderful walk than a "hike"-and remember this, she'll be all tuckered out from africa!!!----I will say though that on our trip the only time I couldn't keep up was on the streets in Vegas!!--those long legs!!--I take two steps to her one--now that's what i call a strenuous hike!!