Thursday, January 13, 2011

TEA TOWELS


Have you ever wondered about tea towels? I've seen them in stores all my life, but never really "got" them, ere now. I mean, they just didn't seem as thick and sturdy as a good dish towel should be, so I figured they were mostly ornamental, and had no true purpose.

Lately, however, I've taken to fixing myself an entire pot of tea each morning, instead of my usual single cup with breakfast. If I slip my hand-knitted tea cozy over the pot, it stays warm longer, and I can continue sipping as I write. The only problem is that each time I pour a cup, some of the tea drizzles down the spout, getting all over my cute little cozy and the kitchen counter. I'm embarrassed to tell you that it took all of this time before I finally had my eureka moment and thought "Aha! Tea towels! Now I keep a small cloth handy, to hold beneath the spout as I pour. Doh!

7 comments:

Marie A. said...

wow! duh! I never thought of that being the reason either! I always thought "well they're nice but what do I do with them?"

I have this odd little contraption called a tea catcher, looks like a lemon slice and fits around the spout. when the tea dribbles the catcher soaks up the tea. However, it doesn't fit my larger teapots so I've just dealt with the dribble. I'll have to make me a few tea towels. :)

d.a. said...

Aha! I learned something new as well, thank you!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Glad to know I'm not the only oblivious one around.

musingegret said...

That's a lovely vignette you arranged. I went to check the definition of vignette to make sure I was using it correctly (I'm not, but I see it used all over the Home Decor blogs to describe an arrangement of objects that are pleasing to the eye)and because Merriam-Webster lists words that rhyme I've whipped up a little doggerel of whimsy.

You've composed a vignette
That just needs a baguette
And your coyote barrette
To show variations on a
Peach-orange set.

Okay, Okay, it's not Ogden Nash---but it's a start! ;-)

Thanx for the education about tea towels---I always thought they fulfilled the same function as 'fingertip towels.'

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-fingertip-towel.htm

Hill Country Hippie said...

ME: You are too, too funny! In merchandising, we call them vignettes too. More on the subject tomorrow.

The Curious Holts said...

Mmmm now I want tea. AND a cozy like THAT one!! drool drool.

Hill Country Hippie said...

There's an interesting story behind that tea cozy, which just proves what an amazing place the blogosphere is: http://hillcountryliving.blogspot.com/2010/08/color-mad-monday_09.html