Monday, December 13, 2010

THEY'LL BE DANCING IN THE STREETS






After nine or ten years of hearing about it, and selling the t-shirts and advertising for it at the garden shop where I worked, we finally made it to Houston's Lights in the Heights street festival! The Heights is my favorite neighborhood in all of Houston, one of the earliest "master-planned" communities, located off I-10 near downtown. It's full of charming old houses like my grandma's both had, and every year the Woodland Heights section blocks off a few streets, encourages everyone to string up lights, gets people to volunteer their porches and driveways for everything from classic rock bands and jazz trios to a capella carolers, then invites the entire city to come enjoy the sights and sounds - for free!

So what were we waiting for, you ask? An invitation, I suppose, and this year we finally got one. Thanks to Austin's good buddy Carl, Carl's girlfriend, and his housemates, who were hosting one of the bands on their porch, instead of being on the outside looking in, we got to be on the inside this year -- one of the cool people that are seen in houses and yards all along the route, enjoying catered affairs under tents, or just roasting marshmallows around a firepit, and dancing in the street.

2 comments:

musingegret said...

"They said get back honky cat
Better get back to the woods
Well I quit those days and my redneck ways
And oh the change is gonna do me good".....

Your 'cool people' phrase reminded me of 'cool cat' and Elton's song popped into my head!

I was gonna suggest y'all walk 37th Street this year but Dec 2009 entries from Austin Liveblog intimated it might not be the extravaganza it's been in years past. That's sad. Maybe it's the aging demographics of the neighborhood? 2010 will be the 30th year since it started.

http://texaslesstraveled.com/37thstreet.htm

http://lovehateaustin.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/37th-street-christmas-lights/

Hill Country Hippie said...

We did 37th street last year or the year before, and it was lots of fun. Still haven't tried spinning under the big tree at Zilker though. John was also taking pictures this weekend, and he is a much better photographer than I, so I will probably have some more to post soon as he sends them my way.