Thursday, November 11, 2010

WHAT'S MY LINE?



When we were at the festival this weekend, I was chatting with the people next to me about the long lines, and our fear that everyone would be out of food before we made it to the front of the line. Then I smiled and said, "Oh well. As long as I get a couple of good photos for my blog, it won't be a total loss." To which the young lady replied "You've got a blog? I love reading blogs! What's it about?" ARRGH! There it is again, that question that always gives me so much grief!

Despite all the effort some of you put into helping me come up with an "elevator pitch", I still get brain freeze whenever someone asks me that question - which is why John was so shocked to walk up just then and hear us talking about it. I almost never mention it to strangers, for that very reason! As usual, I hemmed and hawed, then rambled about saying "Well, it's about living the good life here in the Hill Country, and about our transition from big city suburbanites to Hill Country Characters. It's about all the interesting places we discover, and the people we meet, and... Somehow I managed to interest her enough to ask for my card, but still...

So, remind me again please. What are the most critical items I should cover when asked this, in that tiny window allowed me before their eyes start to wander or glaze over? If you will help me out once more, I promise that this time, I will practice reciting it over and over in front of a mirror, until it's forever etched in my brain!

4 comments:

musingegret said...

Practice saying:

-My blog is about the seasons of my life spent living simply in a small town in the Texas Hill Country.
(I borrowed from your post of 3/1/10 and what the Lovely Lady's BFF said to you in Mima's.)

-I write about eating locally and thinking globally.

-I journalize about living a life of gratitude for the abundance of goodness surrounding me. (kinda high-flown---better ditch this one!)

-My blog is a daily diary about a big city girl transplanted to her heart's home in Wimberley. (from your profile)

-I blog about living the good life with a down-to-earth vision. (re-working the blog title)

-I write about plants and food and marriage and food and critters and weather and food and friends and offspring and food.....

-I describe all the delightful joys and depressing woes of small town life in the country. (sunrises, sunsets, good food---floods, bugs, snakes, and Home Owners Assn.)

Well, you get the idea! ;-)

Hill Country Hippie said...

The subject of food does seem to pop up a lot, doesn't it? ;-)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Oh yeah, and did I mention that I have a problem with remembering more than three things at a time?

musingegret said...

One of my favorite subjects is food! I used to read cookbooks for entertainment when younger, but now with the 'net and wonderful sites like Tastespotting and Food Gawker my hardcover perusing days are over. I have a Favorites Folder devoted solely to food blogs so keep those 'food' posts a-coming!