Thursday, October 28, 2010

CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION




Today is my 57th birthday. As if that weren't enough, I just happened to glance at my blog stats a moment ago, and it said I now have One Thousand Posts under my belt! I plan to wear sequins all day long, in honor of this dual celebration.

To tell you the truth, I really don't feel 57. In fact, it feels like the clock is going in reverse these days, and that I have become one year younger each year since I came to Wimberley. Guess that's what happens, when you're finally living the good life.

I celebrated with the boys all weekend, then Lex surprised me by stopping by on her way back from Dallas, and spent the rest of the day with me. She brought me a special tea mug that she painted herself, after hearing me complain about how ridiculous it was that mugs were always white inside, and were ruined as soon as you put coffee or tea in them - especially since one can't use bleach products when one has a septic system. Notice the nice orange interior of this one. And, to go with my tea, she brought me a Day of the Dead cookie (Kuh-yoot!), and not one, but two mini pies from Texas Pie Company. She's helping me to eat them all, since I didn't think I could handle it by myself.

Today I'll probably be heading over to San Antonio with two of the Muses, for lunch and a fiber arts exhibit. Unfortunately, one of the Muses is out in California dealing with a family crisis, and can't join us. We miss you Buffalo Woman, and will do our best not to have too much fun without you. Now I'm off to don those sequins!

4 comments:

Teri H said...

Happy Birthday girl! And congrats on one thousand posts! Wow!

Teri

musingegret said...

Don those sequins! Kick up those fancy boots! Drink a margarita or two at Mi Tierra! Dance down the Riverwalk and pirouette over an arched bridge! You've earned it girl!!!

One Thousand Posts, Hoorah!!!

(and happy, happy birthday....can't wait to see the pics of the day.)

P.S. Today is my sweetie's bday too and I'm neck deep in anchos and pork making Homesick Texan's West Texas Asado for the big boot-scootin' tomorrow night.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2008/10/in-search-of-west-texas-asado.html

Hill Country Hippie said...

Ooh, you're Sweetie is a lucky man ME. I love Homesick Texan! It was her pickled okra recipe that I posted about around a year ago. She recommended using the red streaked okra, because it tinted the pickling juices a beautiful rosy color, and she was right! I'm sure his birthday feast will be fabulous.

musingegret said...

Followup: The asado was a big hit and I highly recommend the recipe, especially for a big-crowd potluck. A few tips:

- Allow to chill overnight to marry the flavors and so you can skim off the little bit of solidified fat on the surface.

- Puree the hydrated anchos in batches with a little water in each batch. You don't have to dump out the puree between batches, just add to blender in thirds.

- Save the seeds that were poured out of the dried anchos when de-seeding. They can be added back in the next day for a little extra heat or just serve with pickled jalapeno slices.

- The asado was a beautiful bright brick red color and was gorgeous topped with pico and a dollop of sour cream.

P.S. I adore pickled okra; will have to check out her recipe.