Thursday, September 9, 2010

NO MIMA'S FOR ME: DAY TWO






Welcome to Niagara Falls! I just moseyed down to the creek, to see what's what. After 17 hours with no rain, I expected things to be back to normal. Boy, was I disappointed. No taco today for Becky.

See that second photo there? That's what we call crossing #2. If the creek is running, crossing #1 usually has some water trickling across it, but not #2. #2 is not at creek level, it's raised up, with big galvanized culverts beneath it for the water to pass through. I've only seen it with water going over it one time before, at the peak of a big storm - not 17 hrs. after the storm had passed. And see all that grassy stuff wrapped around the tree in the next photo? That tree sits even with this crossing, so that shows you how many feet higher the water was yesterday.

The fourth photo was taken as I stood at the top of the creekside cliff right in front of our house. See how far away the water looks now? (even though it's still much higher than its usual level) Well, yesterday, it was pretty dang close to where my toes would be in that photo.

Last but not least is a photo I just this minute received in an email from our H.O.A. secretary. That, my friends, is crossing #1, which I didn't see this morning since I wasn't willing to wade through #2 to get there (pun intended - you do not want to go into that water right after a flood!). Apparently the flood stripped a huge chunk of asphalt off of it. She said she took the liberty of contacting the local contractor about repairs, but who knows how far down his waiting list we will be, or when he will get around to us. Hope it's soon. This girl can only go so long without a trip to Mima's!

No comments: