Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A MOTHER'S LOVE





This is how much I love my kids: I let my son talk me into going to see the movie Machete as part of his birthday celebration in Houston. Surprisingly, it wasn't quite the torture-fest I was expecting.

You see, I just can't abide violence, blood, guts and terror (all the things

DH loves most) in a movie. When we were first married, I was so smitten that I would tag along to see anything his heart desired, but round about the 2nd or 3rd Alien sequel, I finally had to put my foot down. "Forget it Buster," I said. "Find someone else to go with you. I just can't take this anymore!" Soooo, now my kids love this shit just as much as he does.

Anyhoo, back to Machete, the latest of local wunderkind (and Hill Country Character) Robert Rodriguez's grindhouse-style movies. The thing that made it tolerable for me was that the blood and gore were so far over the top that it was almost...well...funny! If you don't know what I mean, picture Dan Akroyd's SNL rendition of Julia Child carving a chicken, with fake blood squirting all over the place. Yes, that far over the top! If you're curious, I should probably warn you of one other potentially offensive characteristic of these movies: all of the women in them look like nekkid Barbie dolls. All of them! If, in spite of all this, you still decide to go see it, be sure and take note of the skinny white dude with curly auburn hair who thinks he is a tough hispanic gang member. Remember Spy Kids? (also by Robert Rodriguez) Yep, that's the little chubby dude all grown up!

Now, in case you've been wondering about the photos here, I should explain that my husband and kids are not huge cake fans, which is why Austin decided, after our lovely sushi dinner at a very elegant place called Soma, that he needed a piece of pie to cap off his 25th birthday celebration. He said he knew just the place to take us, too - a place he had stumbled across recently, called Late Night Pies.

Unfortunately for Austin, once we arrived and stood looking around for a moment at the bar-like atmosphere, his sister turned to him and said "I hate to break this to you Sport, but I'm pretty sure they are referring to pizza-pies, not apple pie!" Snort! Good thing he had a back-up plan.

3 comments:

musingegret said...

Hilarious story; thanks for the mini-heads-up on "Machete."

I detest those kinds of films (even knowing it's fake blood)but I'll pass along the info to the 'boys' who love that genre!

On another note: Here's a semi-local spot in Kyle that makes terrific pies (IMO); I've sampled 3 of the individual fruit pies and they are light, flaky and packed with fruit.

http://www.texaspiecompany.com/

And please convey Happy Birthday, Quarter Century Wishes to Austin.

P.S. This is **not** a paid endorsement! ;-)

Hill Country Hippie said...

We love Texas Pie Company too! (especially that peach pie with a hint of almond or amaretto in it). My siblings have to pass right by it whenever they come here from Dallas, so quite often they stop to grab a pie and bring it with them. Lucky me!

Jessica said...

I hate those movies, too. I make my husband order them On Demand when I'm out of the house... :

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A SOON!