Wednesday, September 8, 2010

THE CREEK RISETH


I started to call this post "And the Rains Came", but then realized I had already used that one. Same with "Splish Splash", and several others. Odd that I've written so many posts about heavy rains, when you consider how dry it usually is around here. Why, just last week our creek was well on its way towards dead empty, and the "Burn Ban" signs were back in place! But that's the Hill Country weather for you - persistent drought with intermittent flooding.

We must have got at least eight inches of rain in the last twenty four hours, thanks to tropical storm Hermine. Hard to know for sure, since Hubby's little weather station resets itself each night at midnight. We had enough wind to flatten a few plants, including my pretty castor bean with the star-shaped leaves, but that's OK. She was getting way too big for her britches, and removing her will give me that much more space for fall veggies. On the plus side, the roof stayed put this time, no patio furniture went whizzing around or got plopped onto vehicles, and since we recently had our big oak professionally pruned, there were no dead limbs just waiting to become missiles. Best of all, despite that deafening boom that jolted me out of bed at 2:30 am, thinking surely we had been struck by lightening, we still have power. Not only that, we've still got internet. I'm one happy camper.

The jury is still out regarding access and egress from the neighborhood. I've seen a couple of vehicles make it over the low-water crossings and up to the highway, but I've also seen a couple back up and turn around. Don't think I'll be risking it in my little Mini anytime soon. After all, it's still raining.

No comments: