Friday, June 11, 2010

GIDDY TO THE MAX



Tell me, what could possibly be better than this? I wandered into the library this week because I had gone online the night before to put some books on reserve, but the computer kept telling me the number I had entered was invalid. I tried several times, but always got the same answer. Then I tried my original card number, the one I thought I had lost but later found. Same result. When I got to the library they checked the system and found I wasn't there at all, under either number. For some reason, I just didn't exist. I had been erased. Deleted. Kicked out. I know this doesn't seem like cause for giddiness, but wait.

The result was that I had to start over from scratch - reapply, then wait while they re-entered all of my information and issued me another card. While I was waiting, I wandered over to the "New Releases" shelves to give them a once over. I was just about to walk away when something made me freeze in my tracks. What was that down on the lower shelf? Was there a book jacket showing a small girl picking lavender? Wonder who it's by? So I turned around, squatted down, and took a closer look. What to my wondering eyes did appear? The name of one of my all-time favorite memoirists, author of 1,000 Days in Venice, 1,000 Days in Tuscany, The Lady in the Palazzo, and That Summer in Sicily, Marlena de Blasi! So, I ask you, what could be more exciting than finding a brand new book you'd heard nothing about, this time a novel, by one of your favorite authors, when you'd been thinking it might be years before she wrote anything else, if ever! It was all I could do not to squeal out loud and do a little victory dance, right there in the middle of the library!

So, here's what's on my reading table right now. Won't you please tell us what's on yours? What's the best thing you've read recently?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well - you know me - I'm all about mysteries. The best books I've read in a long time (and Bud is even more enthusiastic) is the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and it's sequels by Stieg Larsson. We've read the first two and are anxious to read the last. Unfortunately, it WILL be the last because the author die before seeing any of them published.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Those are definitely on my "to read" list. Both friend Paula and son Austin really liked them.

Jessica said...

I'm reading Nothing to Envy for my book club. A journalist interviews all the people who grew up in North Korea and defected to South Korea. So interesting!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Sounds good!

musingegret said...

Picked up at garage sales and read in May: Alan Alda's "Things I've Overheard While Talking to Myself", Tracy Chevalier's "The Virgin Blue" and "Falling Angels".

Currently, deep into Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals."

I was reminded of your book list of sometime back when I perused a recent Pioneer Woman post on all-time favorite books:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2010/06/your-all-time-favorite-books/

You've reminded me to dig out my library card!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Oooh, a book list! I love book lists! Will have to check it out.