Monday, May 17, 2010

A TIME FOR EVERY PURPOSE

Now that Lex is moving out, I find myself looking back on the past year with amazement. I'm so impressed that she stuck it out in California for four years, even after the relationship that drew her out there fell apart. I'm so thankful that her boss there made the decision to phase out her San Diego office, for if she hadn't, it would have been much harder for Lex to walk away from a sure thing and come back to Texas. I'm ecstatic that she was able to find a good job here only two months after arriving, despite the slumping economy, and terribly relieved that it seems to be a good match for her. Most of all, I'm thrilled to see the way she is blossoming.

You see, unlike her previous boss, who preferred to maintain the status quo, this new company believes in steadily nudging Lex out of her comfort zone. Just as soon as she starts to feel at ease in the new spot, they bump her out again. Poor thing. It hasn't been easy. Not long ago she got an email from her bosses asking her if she would like to be the design manager on her next project. I think she's half ecstatic, half nauseous. This means she won't be just ordering, shopping and installing a model home. Instead she will design it (including structural details she wants the builder to install) and present it to the client as well, having to sell them on her ideas. She wasn't expecting to be handed this much responsibility for at least a year, so it's a bit of a shock.

How is it possible that six months have already gone by since she left California, four since she started her new job? On one hand, this time seems to have flown by. On the other, her time in California seems to have been a lifetime ago. I'm sorry for all of the rough experiences she had to deal with on her own while there, but I guess it was all part of her growing into the lovely person she is today. I thank my lucky stars for the way God and the universe brought things into alignment, and made it possible for her to finally move back to Texas, find a good job, and for me to have spent these wonderful few months with her. I think she feels the same way - and I'm especially glad that this apartment showed up before she had time to change her mind about that!

No comments: