Wednesday, May 19, 2010

DON'T LET ME HEAR YOU CALLIN' THEM CUTE!






There has been a serious invasion of my personal space. I've put up with them leaving my winecups naked and denuding the peach and satsuma trees. I've tolerated the constant trail of uneaten plants popped from containers - not out of hunger, but from sheer maliciousness. I probably

could have even forgiven them for pulling that beautiful new variegated hibiscus from the pot on the porch (which they've never bothered before) and for demolishing that expensive new coral honeysuckle vine that I finally planted to balance the trellis. But NOT the friggin' Cantina Garden! Do you hear that Mr. Deer? I will never forgive you for that!

7 comments:

karen l said...

I hear ya sister! Have you ever looked up a list of deer resistant plants? There are like three things they won't eat. But - the list makers don't bother telling you the deer will nibble on all of your stuff to see if they might like it. Like my new baby oak tree started from a stick and nurtured in the house all winter - no leaves on the baby tree, spit out leaves on the ground. Nice Bambi.

Hill Country Hippie said...

So how many carrots did they have to pull out and taste, before they finally made up their mind that, no, they really didn't like them?

d.a. said...

People constantly come into the nursery looking for deer-proof plants. "The only thing deer proof", I tell them, "is a rock".

the threadbare gardener said...

The caterpillars and the raccoons seem to be wreaking more havoc at my place than the deer this year....we figure there must be enough for the deer to browse on after this rainy winter that they don't have to bother the garden. No worries, tho...the aforementioned critters are picking up the slack!

Anonymous said...

I live in the city and still have deer problems. Also with all the damp, we have tons of snails chomping on my veggie plants and I can't convince my chickens to eat the snails!

Anonymous said...

How did the deer get into the garden???

Hill Country Hippie said...

I'm thinking possibly one of the new babies just walked between the posts, and then momma had to jump the fence to round it up. They can jump a 6 ft. fence like ours without blinking an eye, and we knew that, but they usually won't if it's right up next to a building where there's a lot of activity going on.