Monday, April 12, 2010

TAKIN' CARE OF OUR OWN




Is there anyone out there who wishes there was less music, art, or literature in the world, or who thinks the world would be a much better place if we'd just shut down all the museums, libraries and concert halls, and toss their contents onto another massive "bonfire of the vanities"? No, I didn't think so. But, if not, then why is it that we place so little value on the people who produce all that is wondrous?

Perhaps you think that starvation and suffering are necessary to the creative process - that you cannot have one without the other. If so, let me set you straight. Hunger and pain are extremely distracting, and have a tendency to consume all of one's attention. Have you ever had a migraine or a bad toothache? Could you think of anything else but your pain at the time? So, no, I don't believe an artist, writer, or musician needs to suffer in order to create. What they do need is time. Time free from worry about where the next meal is coming from, how to keep a roof over their heads, or how to pay their hospital bills. Which is why, in all of the most creatively productive places and eras throughout time, there have always been plenty of wealthy people who were more than happy to use a portion of their excess to sponsor a promising talent.

I don't think that happens much anymore, do you? And since, up to this point anyway, in this country, only those who work for big corporations with nice benefit packages have been able to afford decent healthcare, you have to wonder - how does anyone manage to produce anything that is wondrous anymore? Well, I don't know how it works elsewhere, but I have to say, these Hill Country Hippies are pretty darn good about takin' care of their own!

Austin is touted as being "The Live Music Capitol of the World", and Wimberley has long been known as a haven for artists and writers, so moving to this area has been quite an eye-opener for me. I'm beginning to see and hear first-hand exactly what happens when a musician has a stroke, or a sculptor catches fire in a studio accident. It's not just the hospital bills that are devastating. The killer is not being able to work for a while, thus not bringing in any income. That's why I'm so proud each time I see this town banding together to put on a benefit in their support, or when I read about the city of Austin coming together to form an organization called H.A.A.M. - Health Alliance for Austin Musicians.

It's really got me to thinkin' - about where my excess money goes, and it has inspired me to make some changes. I'm still going to support great organizations like Kiva, who do such amazing things to help people in struggling nations help themselves. But, from now on? At least half of my contributions are going to stay right here in the area, takin' care of our own!

Oh, and one more thing! If you know anyone who's toying with the idea of building another McMansion, or who's been shopping around for a hundred thousand dollar sports car? You might want to drop a bug in their ear, about a longer lasting, more satisfying way to spend that money...

No comments: