Monday, April 26, 2010

THE RULES OF LOVE


This time of year, amidst Valentines, Mother's Day and our anniversary, I am often reminded of my mother. Mom lived by stringent proof-of-love standards, as set up by the Hallmark Corporation. In fact, I often wondered if those weren't the only signs she knew how to read. In her world, if you didn't receive that corsage to wear to church and lunch at a fine restaurant on Mother's Day, roses and a heart-shaped box of chocolates on Valentines, a piece of jewelry on your anniversary, and a cake with candles plus a mountain of well-wrapped gifts and everyone gathered round you on your birthday, then it was obvious your family didn't love you. Hallmark said so.

And, in accordance with the studies having to do with birth order, those values were passed down to each of her successive offspring in an ever diluted state, so that by the time we came to my little brother - the youngest - he was so oblivious to The Rules that he's been known to forget to even show up for his own celebrations! It's a good thing I was child #3, because John is to The Hallmark Rules what matter is to anti-matter. He's never baked a birthday cake in his life, feels morally compelled not to send flowers on the expected occasions, and was rarely even in town on our anniversary, and yet, I couldn't feel more loved.

You see, it's the little unexpected things that he and the kids do, for no particular reason at all, that make my heart go pitter-patter. It's a 24 year old son who still gives me a big ol' bear hug when he sees me, or overhearing your daughter telling someone "When it comes to parents, Austin and I pretty much won the lottery." It's finding that homemade, crayola-drawn card that my sweetie tucked under my pillow one time - the one that started out "To An Oolie-Droolie Girl." Could Hallmark possibly top any of that? Not in a million years.

P.S. Many thanks to glitterhound.com for the above image.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Hey, Becky! Your mother knew my mother. Those good old obligatory holidays...heaven help the one who didn't conform! We're also married to special men, I think. Harold calls me for no reason, and does sweet things for no reason--except for loving me. My oldest daughter told her husband, when he remarked, "you're just like your mom," that she considered that a compliment. Youngest daughter agreed. Life is good, isn't it?

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yea Becca, great comeback! Yes, life is good. I think we deserve kudos ourselves, for recognizing and grabbing hold of these gems when we found them!

Deb said...

I am SO with you on this one, Becky! My dearly beloved and I just celebrated our wedding anniversary - as far apart as we could possibly be - and it didn't matter. He's back now, from Western Australia,with Timtams. Life is good.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hmmm, what exactly are Timtams?

Deb said...

Just as well you don't know what you're missing. I love ya, Pal, but I'm not sharing.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Well, I never!

Jessica said...

I can completely relate! Geoff and I do not like to do the expected holiday gifts, either. We do little things whenever we feel so compelled. I am practical to a fault - fresh cut flowers seem like such a waste of money because they just die in a couple of days. I'd rather have a plant, or better yet a $20 bill on the counter in place of flowers! :)

Karen said...

hi..saw your comment on Rhonda's page and wanted to let you know that song was the avett brothers, an amazing band out of north carolina. i've seen them live twice here in Louisville!! that line is one of my favorites of theirs, too. i have every one of their albums!!

peace,

karen

Hill Country Hippie said...

I'll take a new plant for the Cantina Garden over a florist's bouquet any ol' day!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Karen, thanks for the info. Guess I'd better make a trip to the music store!