Wednesday, April 14, 2010

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER


You're probably not going to believe this, but guess what I just tried this week, for the very first time? Pure Maple Syrup! I know, I know. Weird, huh? Oh, it's not the first time I've bought it. We had one bottle in the pantry for years, which I had purchased because some recipe or another had called for a tablespoon or so, but no one ever used it after that, so I finally tossed it. Good thing I did. I had no idea it should have been refrigerated once the bottle was opened!

I haven't a clue why I stuck with the fake stuff for so long. It was just such an ingrained habit, having been trained from a very early age that diet anything was the virtuous choice to make! As I've said before, sometimes I am notoriously slow on the uptake. Anyhoo, not long ago I was enjoying my once-a-week treat of organic, whole wheat waffles with flax , with a wee bit of organic peanut- or almond-butter tucked between them. I was just about to top them off with a squirt of Mrs. Butterworth Butter Flavored Lite when a spasm went through my arm, and I found myself thinking, "What the hell are you doing? You're so good about reading labels, why haven't you ever bothered to take a gander at that one!"

Soooo, I went to the store and got a bottle of the real thing. I have to admit, it's gonna take some getting used to. You know that old saying, "Less is More"? Well, that definitely applies to pure maple syrup. So, soon as I adjust to the fact that it packs a much bigger wallop than the fake stuff, but is actually thinner and comes out of the bottle much faster, perhaps I can learn not to drown my waffles in an overabundance of flavor. Then, that seemingly expensive bottle will last more than twice as long as the other, and ya know what? I might just grow to love it!

3 comments:

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

We have the syrup debate around here a lot. My kids hate the real thing on their waffles. Aunt Jemima all the way for them. So I reserve the expensive maple syrup for a marinade when I make Salmon. That and a bit of garlic and brown sugar on top of salmon, then baked or bar b qued for 30 minutes. 1st rate!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Mmmm, sounds yummy!

musingegret said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only weirdo to haul around an unopened bottle of gen-u-wine maple syrup and then finally tried it 3 months ago on some hoecakes 'cause my Dad said that real maple syrup is the **only** way to go! I liked it and was surprised because I don't like maple sugar candy and had based my tastes on that one single experience of decades ago. Sheeesh! Anyway, "Cottage's" comment about using it for salmon marinade has me googling recipes now---thank you Cottage!