Friday, March 26, 2010

KEEPING THE LOVE ALIVE




Know what I love? Dance Halls! The kind that look like they've been around for a hundred years or more, hosted most every important occasion in the community, and whose floors have been scuffed by a million twirling boots. Places like

Gruene Hall over near New Braunfels, and Fischer Hall not far from Wimberley (where we went to that great anniversary shindig last spring).

It always breaks my heart when one has to shut down, but thrills me no end when one gets rescued. This one, Sengelmann Hall (est. 1894), in the town of Schulenburg, TX, has recently been brought back to life. I pass by there every time I go back and forth between Houston and Wimberley, and finally took the time to stop and check it out. Unfortunately, dance halls aren't usually open at nine in the morning, so I couldn't get any pictures of the inside for you. Maybe next time.

No comments: